Schools in Jammu reopened after two years. In such a situation, the drivers of vehicles transporting students to school and home have been asked by the traffic police to follow the traffic rules. The traffic police have issued an advisory in this regard, asking the school administrators to ensure that children’s lives should not be jeopardized.
According to the advisory, the school staff or guardian of the children should be present on the bus who can handle it. Along with this, buses should not be overloaded. Strict action will be taken if the rules are violated. In the advisory issued by SSP Traffic Kaushal Kumar Sharma, all private and government schools have been instructed to get their buses painted yellow and follow all the directions issued by the Supreme Court for school buses.
Almost all the schools in the city have put buses to pick up and take their children, which charge a hefty rent every month from the parents of the children in the name of transport. But, unfortunately, some of them are also such schools whose buses are plying in violation of the rules.
“No one will be allowed to play with the lives of school children. If any school vehicles violate traffic rules, action will be taken against them under the law”, Rajpal Manhas, SP Traffic.
These instructions have to be followed-
- The vehicle carrying school children should be yellow.
- School bus should be written on the front and back of the bus. If the bus is hired, it is mandatory to write on its school duty.
- There should also be a first aid box on the bus.
- Speed governors should also be installed in buses.
- There should be grills on the windows of the buses.
- A fire extinguisher is also mandatory on the bus.
- The door of the school bus should be locked.
- There should be a place to store school bags under the seats.
- The driver should have at least five years of experience in driving a bus.
- If the driver has been challaned twice, he cannot drive the school bus.
- Seat belts are also mandatory on the seats.
- The school bus should also have its route permit.