India waited for China to clear the North and South banks of Pangong Tso lake first before reciprocating the first phase of disengagement agreement reached between the two countries in Eastern Ladakh, a senior government official said.
As per ‘The Hindu’, an official said that the decision was taken to “wait and watch” and the process — removal of armaments and infantry by India — was accelerated only after the ground commanders were convinced and verified that the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) was sincere in honouring the agreement.
The disengagement at Pangong where Indian and Chinese troops were in an eyeball-to-eyeball confrontation in North and South banks since June and August last year.
The 10th round of Corps Commander talks were held on Saturday and both sides continued negotiations towards disengagement from all friction areas. A government source said that both sides will continue the talks. No formal statement has been issued so far on the outcome of the talks. The focus of the talks was to work out a phased disengagement plan for the other friction areas in Eastern Ladakh.
“The hundreds of troops on the north and south banks have been pulled back from the friction points and moved to the depth areas. The area continues to see presence of a large number of troops,” said an official.
As per China Media, the news of China’s loss infront of India in terms of border clashes is a disrespect to the mutual understanding between the two countries and definitely not a positive sign for the future.