The Ayodhya case in the Supreme Court was adjourned again today after the exit of one of the five judges in the constitution bench. Justice UU Lalit recused himself saying he had been a lawyer in a related case.
The Supreme Court will take up the temple-mosque case on January 29.The bench led by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi will then decide on a schedule and the frequency of hearings in the case. The other judges on the Constitution Bench are Justice SA Bobde, Justice NV Ramana and Justice DY Chandrachud.
The decision on the title suit, pending for six decades and at the heart of India’s most politically divisive row, comes amid demands to speed up the plan to build a Ram temple at the site where the 16th-century Babri mosque stood before it was razed by Hindu right wing activists in 1992.
In an interview to news agency ANI at the start of the year, Prime Minister Narendra Modi made it clear that any decision on passing an executive order on the Ram temple issue cannot be made unless the judicial process is over.
“Let the judicial process be over. After the judicial process is over, whatever will be our responsibility as the government, we are ready to make all efforts… We have said in our BJP manifesto that a solution would be found to this issue under the ambit of the Constitution,” PM Modi had said.