Jammu, Mar 31: Security forces engaged three absconding terrorists in Panjtirthi area in the mountains between Ghati and Billawar in Kathua district tonight, leading to fierce gun battle.
The fierce firing lasted about 40 minutes and then stopped, the officials said.
However, search of the area will be conducted early tomorrow morning.
The terrorists were spotted by security forces late tonight while heading towards Billawar mountains and engaged in the gun battle.
Earlier in the day, security forces continued massive search operations in Ghati heights of Kathua district for fifth consecutive day today.
Search operations are being conducted by multiple security agencies including Army, NSG, JKP, SOG and paramilitary forces to track down three remaining terrorists who were part of a group of five ultras, two of whom were eliminated on Thursday. Four security personnel were martyred.
However, no contact was established with the terrorists during the day though the security forces intensified searches in the forests surrounding Rui where the ultras were spotted last night and escaped after taking food from a woman.

Security forces used aerial surveillance and sniffer dogs as they moved forward into the forests and upper reaches of Ghati in Rajbagh area of Kathua district.
Security forces also launched a separate search operation in Samba sector near the international border to sanitise the area.

As reported today, three suspected terrorists entered a house in Rui village, few kilometres from the encounter site of Safiyan Jakhole, and took away food from the kitchen.
Security forces are engaged in a multi-tier operation to track down the terrorists in the forest belts of Rui, Juthana, Ghati and Sanyal in the Rajbagh region, and parts of Billawar, the officials said.
The joint operation teams are also focusing on the Over Ground and underground networks of the terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad in areas along the International Border (IB).
On Sunday night, three suspicious persons dressed in black robes entered the house of Shanker in Rui village and asked for water from an elderly woman.
“I was alone at home when they asked me for water. I went into another room out of fear after giving them water,” the elderly woman told reporters.
“Before leaving, they forcibly entered the kitchen and took away rotis and sabzi,” she added.
The woman said they even offered her money – two Rs 500 notes – before leaving, which she refused.
The incident prompted the security forces to put the area under night cordon.
It is difficult for terrorists to survive in the absence of a network of OGWs, who provide them with food, shelter and escape routes, the officials said.
As reported today, security forces have picked up six persons, including some women of a family, for questioning as it is suspected that they may have provided food, shelter and guidance to the terrorists operating in the region.
The women belong to the family of Mohammad Latief, an OGW who is in jail under the Public Safety Act (PSA) for helping terrorists in Malhar during an attack on an army truck last year, in which five soldiers were martyred.
It is believed that Abu Tala, one of the slain terrorists, stayed at Latief’s house.
Security forces have questioned over two dozen persons about terrorist movements in the area.
Police are also tracking a group of terrorists after intercepting them on March 23 within a ‘dhok’ in a nursery, in Sanyal village near the International Border with Pakistan.
Tracking them led to an encounter at Safiyan Jakhole in Rajbagh area, which resulted in the killing of two terrorists and martyrdom of four policemen last Thursday.