A single-day spike of 83,341 cases has pushed India’s coronavirus tally past the 39-lakh mark, the Health Ministry data this morning showed. The total number of cases now stand at 39,36,347. The country witnessed 1,096 Covid-related deaths during the period taking the total death count to 68,472. 30,37,151 patients have recovered from the infection in the country, pushing the recovery rate to 77 per cent. Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Delhi and Andhra Pradesh account for 70 per cent of the total COVID-19 deaths, according to the government.
Here are the top 10 updates on coronavirus:
- Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh are the five states which reported the highest number of cases in the last 24 hours. These five states account for over 62 per cent of the active cases, according to the Health Ministry. Among these five states, Maharashtra has recorded 6.8 per cent decrease in the number of active cases over a period of three weeks, it said.
- There are 8,31,124 active coronavirus cases in the country, which account for 21.11 per cent of the total caseload, the data stated.
- 69 per cent of the 1.33 lakh Covid cases reported in Telangana are asymptomatic. 2,000 Healthcare workers in the southern state have tested positive for the deadly virus.
- After a brief drop, Delhi has seen a rise in the number of COVID-19 cases over the last few days. The national capital on Thursday reported 2,737 new coronavirus cases, its highest one-day spike in two months. This is the third successive day in September in which over 2,000 new cases have been reported.
- In Goa, Chief Minister Pramod Sawant is under home isolation after he tested positive on Wednesday. The 47-year-old BJP leader has said he was asymptomatic.
- Coronavirus cases in Gujarat crossed the one lakh mark on Thursday with an addition of 1,325 cases, also the highest single-day spike. The first confirmed case of coronavirus in Gujarat was recorded on March 19. With 75,487 tests conducted in one day, the per million average has now gone up to 1,161.33 tests, the state government release said.
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has warned that the increased contact among people during Onam festival may lead to rise in virus cases. “The next two weeks are crucial as we may see Onam clusters being formed in the state due to increased outdoor public activity and travel during the festival time. We can expect a hike in Covid cases,” Mr Vijayan said. Kerala has a total of 79,625 COVID 19 cases, with 315 deaths. The active cases currently in the state is 21,516.
- India’s daily COVID-19 testing numbers is one of the highest in the world, Health Ministry has said. From conducting merely 10 tests per day on January 30, the daily average has crossed more than 11 lakh, the ministry said adding this demonstrates an exponential increase in daily COVID-19 testing in the country.
- Less than 0.50 per cent or 2,717 patients of the total active cases in the country are on ventilator support, according to the ministry.
- Global coronavirus infections have soared past 2.57 crore as countries tighten restrictions to halt the health crisis that has upended life for most of humanity. Over 8.56 lakh people have died of the infection globally.